ri [at] (International relations office)
Tel : +33 1 47 40 21 71

tiana.rabe [at] (Education and Student Life Office (DSVE))

Upon arrival

Registering at ENS Paris-Saclay, obtaining a residency permit, finalising your accommodation, getting health insurance… all practical information you need to allow you to settle.

Getting to ENS

The campus is easily accessible by public transit. Using the Regional ExpressTrains (RER), the campus is located approximately 20 minutes from the center of Paris, 30 minutes from Orly Airport
and one hour from Roissy—Charles-deGaulle Airport.
You can come by RER (B-line RER), by bus (Bus 184 or Bus 197 or Bus 162 ).

Registering at ENS

Before registering, you must first clarify your status, program and level of studies with your teaching department.

If you are incoming mobility student for :

  • a bachelor or a master’s at ENS, please contact your teaching department, according to your program :
    • Basic Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Computer science, Mathematics, Physics
    • Engineering sciences: Electronics & Electrical Engineering & Automation, Civil engineering, Mechanical engineering
    • Humanities & social sciences: Economics and management, Social sciences, Languages / Specialized English, Design
  • If you are participating in a student exchange program or are a recipient of an international scholarship from ENS, the Jacques Hadamard Mathematics Foundation (FMJH), Paris-Saclay University or the Ile-de-France region, please go in person to the International Relations Office (RI).
  • If you are an incoming mobility student for a master’s at Paris-Saclay University, register through the Paris-Saclay University registration website.
  • If you’ve been accepted to ENS as an independent student, follow the instruction given to you be your teaching department and the Education and Student Life Office (DSVE).

Obtaining a residency permit

  • If you are from a member state of the European Economic Area, you do not need a residency permit (also known as a residence visa) to study at ENS.
  • If you are not from a member state of the European Economic Area, but your have a VLS-TS visa, you must validate your visa at ENS’s Education and Student Life Office (DSVE) within the first days of your arrival.
  • If you are not from a member state of the European Economic Area, but your have a visa other than the VLS-TS visa, you must put in a request for a residency permit from ENS’s Education and Student Life Office (DSVE) within the first days of your arrival. To complete your request for a residency permit, you must present documents (see International Students guide).

All students must first contact Tiana Rabé at the DSVE (office’s business hours and forms to be filled out).

All students must pass a medical exam with the OFII, who will contact you for an appointment, before validating your VLS-RS visa or obtaining your residency permit

Finalising your accommodation

To rent accommodation, you will always be asked for :

  • Housing insurance, covering at a minimum fire and water damage and third-party liability.
  • A guarantee signed by a guarantor (French resident and creditworthy), who agrees to pay your rent should you be unable to do so. If there’s no guarantor, the Student Rental deposit (Clé) or Loca-Pass services can be used.
  • A safety deposit equivalent to one-month’s rent (returned if no damages and payments up-to-date)
  • A check-in inventory
  • Signing a rental agreement written by the owner.

Financial assistance for housing (APL) can be paid to you (depending on your family situation and your income)

Getting health insurance

Health care system

In France, international students are covered by the French social security. It includes health insurance (reimbursement of your medical expenses). The other part is payable by you.

Health insurance

If you will be studying for less than 3 months, you must be covered by your home country’s health insurance or by private insurance, if it’s longer, you must pay into the social security system.

  • If you are under 28 years of age, you must sign up for student social security (LMDE or SMEREP) when completing your administrative registration at ENS. The cost is €215 (2015 rate).
  • If you are over 28, you must be covered by the Primary Health Insurance Office (CPAM).

Complementary insurance

For a better coverage of your medical expenses, you can subscribe to complementary insurance (LMDE or SMEREP).

For more details, see International Student guide, “Upon arrival” section.