Preparing for your studies in France
International students can find useful information for preparing for their studies and arrival in France and at ENS Paris-Saclay in a guide designed especially for them.
Visas and residence permits
Foreign students wishing to continue their studies in France must contact the closest French Consulate to their place of residence to get assistance with the entry conditions for France and obtaining the visa.
International Welcome Desk
Université Paris-Saclay has set up a free dedicated e-International platform: International welcome desk.
The International Welcome Desk will help you to obtain personalised information and a step-by-step calendar showing you all the steps that you need to take before you arrive in France and during your initial time there.
France Visa website
All the information on the various formalities and on obtaining visas ia available via the France Visa website.
Please note: students are personally responsible for applying for or renewing residence permits and applying to get their student VLS-TS Visa approved.
- International students: contact the Education and Student Life Department (DSVE): dsve [at] ens-paris-saclay.fr
- International researchers and scientists may contact the International Relations Department (SRI): ri-incoming [at] ens-paris-saclay.fr
Students may be offered accommodation at the ENS Paris-Saclay campus provided that there is accommodation available.
- Accommodation applications will need to be made from mid-June to the dedicated Paris-Saclay bureau (GUPS).
- Accommodation offers are made to students on the basis of housing availability two to three weeks before the date that their desired accommodation can be made available to them.
ENS Paris-Saclay ensures online follow-up of applications with the dedicated Paris-Saclay bureau’s various partner landlords.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact logement [at] ens-paris-saclay.fr">logement [at] ens-paris-saclay.fr
ENS Paris-Saclay is a partner of the Science Accueil body, which also provides residential options for ENS Paris-Saclay’s international students (such as spare rooms in houses and aparthotels).
You can contact them via email: contact [at] science-accueil.org
Free French lessons
From October, ENS Paris-Saclay’s Language Department offers weekly 2-hour French language classes at various levels (beginner, intermediate and advanced), which run throughout the university year.
In order to enroll on these lessons, please come to the first class at the Language Department, west building, 1st floor.
Université Paris-Saclay also lists other French lessons on offer to international students.
Please take a look at the “Learning French” page.
Science Accueil also offers small group lessons in French as a foreign language throughout the year. Two sessions are offered, running from October to February and March to July. All levels are accepted.
Please take a look at the dedicated French lessons page.
Foreign students can also get discounts on transport on the same basis as the School’s students:
- Bus, metro and RER: the Imagine R card entitles students to travel at a discounted rate (and free of charge at the weekend) on public transport in the Ile-de- France region. Please take a look at the RATP website.
- Train (SNCF): if you are under 25 years old, the 12-25 card will entitle you to travel by train with a discount of up to 50%. Please take a look at the SNCF website.
Culture and leisure
The Research Stage
This 160-seater creative space was designed as a compact box-shaped venue and sets out to cultivate and showcase the high cultural and artistic standards at ENS Paris-Saclay, being used as a space for artistic practices, an artist’s residence, shows, cultural events, festivals and workshops.
Student societies and clubs
Thanks to the range of active societies with large student involvement, the ENS Paris-Saclay campus has a buzz in the air.
There is a really large range of student societies and activities available.
International mentoring: the Buddy Programme
The Buddy Programme, set up by Université Paris-Saclay, is a free international mentoring programme for international students who have just arrived in France.
The programme helps mentors to discover new cultures and get to know students from all over the world. The mentoring programme also provides opportunities to practise a foreign language, or even learn more about a specific country.
- It also means that mentees can receive help with administrative procedures and with integrating into their new institute and studying environment. Buddy pairs will be able to get to know each other through trips out and cultural, sporting and social activities put on by Université Paris-Saclay.
Get in touch by email: buddy-program [at] universite-paris-saclay.fr
Our partner Science Accueil puts on a range of cultural visits and events aimed at ENS Paris-Saclay’s international community throughout the year, such as trips out to the theatre, museum and castle visits, guided tours of Paris and more.
Take a look at Science Accueil’s events calendar.
Take a look at Université Paris-Saclay’s events calendar. It lists events that will help you to get away from it all and will enable you to enjoy French music, theatre, concerts, museums and galleries.
Paris-Saclay tourist office: "Destination Paris-Saclay"
The Paris-Saclay tourist office site is responsible for promoting the 27 districts that make up the Paris-Saclay metropolitan area. It has an events calendar that features unmissable events and experiences. All the events are listed there. So you should really visit their site regularly.